Comic-Con: Psych Scoop on the 100th Episode, the Movie Musical and Juliet’s Stepdad Revealed
Will Shawn's dad live?
That's been the burning question on the mind of every Psych-O since Henry (Corbin Bernsen) was shot in the April finale, and when the cast and crew visited Comic-Con Thursday to show new footage from Season 7, they were happy to keep the mystery alive.
Sporting a T-shirt with question marks on the front and the back, Bernsen was introduced last when a chair and name tag were pulled out from behind the stage for him. He said he didn't know if he had a job. But despite the lack of clues about Henry's status, the cast and executive producers were more than happy to offer plenty of other spoilers:
Read our complete Comic-Con coverage
1. "Once you go 100 episodes, you never go back." That is according to star and panel moderator Timothy Omundson, who introduced a spoiler-heavy clip that included footage from the show's 100th episode — a long-awaited tribute to the 1985 movie Clue. Guest stars for the episode include Christopher Lloyd, Gary Morris, Martin Mull and Lesley Ann Warren.
2. Broadway, here we come. Series creator Steve Franks proudly announced that a two-hour movie musical episode of Psych has been partially written and will start shooting in October. Producers estimate that the episode will feature about 10 original songs, which are being written by Franks and the show's music composer. "The pressure's on because we've been talking about it for a while, so we've got to step it up and deliver," James Roday said. "But we're excited." When asked what genre of music the stars would like to perform, Dulé Hill immediately answered, "I want to do show tunes."
Watch full episodes of Psych
3. Gus has got a girl. Fans in attendance were treated to their first look at Parminder Nagra (ER) as Gus' new girlfriend. "It will be nice to see Gus not dating a crazy person and see him in a relationship that lasts more than one episode," Hill said. "I think the fans will enjoy seeing that side of Gus." But how will Shawn react? "I think he wants to be cool with it, but he's also Shawn, so he can't help himself and feel jealous even though he's got a girlfriend of his own," Roday said. "He's got to man-up, but that's not his best quality."
4. Juliet's two dads. Last season, fans were introduced to Juliet's con man father Frank, played by William Shatner. This season, they will meet her stepdad, Lloyd, to be played by Arrested Development's Jeffrey Tambor. "I have the two coolest dads in the world," Maggie Lawson told the crowd.
Check out photos from Psych
5. A more mature Shawn? That idea was met with big boos from the crowd, but Roday told reporters that this will be a defining year in his relationship with Juliet. "They've been together long enough now that you've got to figure out how serious it's going to be and if you're going to stick in or hit the eject button," he said. As seen in the Season 7 preview, also look for Shawn to come face-to-face with the man who shot his dad. Dun dun dun!
Psych returns with new episodes this fall on USA. Do you think Henry will live? Are you excited for the musical episode?