It's business as usual for the milestone 10th season of Project Runway, which will premiere on Thursday at 9/8c on Lifetime.
"I started Project Runway from the very beginning, going around New York City trying to sell the show to networks and trying to explain what the show was all about," host Heidi Klum told reporters on a call. "I'm very proud of it. It's like it's one of my babies. I love the show and I love what it's become, and we've got a lot of fans, and it's become ... an iconic kind of show that people recognize."
Reality TV guilty pleasures
Klum also discussed five things to expect in Season 10 that will "make it work":
1. New and familiar guest judges: "Patricia Field ... is very well known for doing Sex and the City, The Devil Wears Prada," said Klum. "She's actually been one of our very first judges ever on Project Runway. She did our very first challenge on our very first season. So we thought it would be fun to bring her back. For our very first challenge that we did in Times Square we also had Lauren Graham. Hayden Panettiere has been one of our guest judges. Also Krysten Ritter."
2. Outdoor and sweet challenges: "We did this big one in Times Square," she said. "My dream was always to bring the show out on the street so fans could stop by and watch the fashion show. So we did our very first episode in Times Square where the designers had to make two outfits. One outfit they had to do at home to showcase who they are as a designer and then we gave them a choice when they came to New York City where they had to make another second look and then we showed that.
"We [also] had one where they had to make clothes out of candy. We actually went to Ralph Lauren's daughter's store."
3. Child's play? "I know that some designers have gone into baby clothes," said Klum. "I think Seth Aaron actually did or Jeffrey Sebelia, very punk, a little bit more rock 'n' roll. It's a little harder. You should definitely watch this season. There will be something along those lines."
Summer TV eye candy
4. Unusual exits: "You will definitely see it on the show," she said. "This has never happened to us before. I think they just couldn't make it work. We always say, 'Make it work. Make it work.' They just could not make it work and in the morning they were gone. They literally packed up their bags and ran off in the middle of the night when everyone was sleeping. We just couldn't believe it either.
"You would think that a grown-up would say, 'Thanks, but I can't make it work. I've got to go early,' or something. This is something that a kid would do, but we were all very surprised. But if people can't make it work, then leave the spot for someone else that wants to make it work."
5. Gunnar returns! "Gunnar came last season and he didn't make it," said Klum. "He had this dress that confused us. It was kind of this prom-looking gown that he had and it was just not very on trend or fashion forward. It was very Cinderella, old school, and we just did not believe in him that much. I think he grew in that season and he showed us a lot of great things [this time]. He showed us that he evolved as a designer so we wanted to give him a shot. So he made it on the show and he's a good designer. ... We like it when they prove us that we're wrong, that they're better than expected. He's fun."
Project Runway premieres Season 10 on Thursday at 9/8c on Lifetime.