Prince Philip Undergoes Emergency Surgery for Blocked Artery
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and husband of Queen Elizabeth II, is in "good spirits" after undergoing emergency surgery for a blocked coronary artery, a spokesman for the Buckingham Palace said.
Prince Philip, 90, was taken to Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire Friday for "precautionary tests" after he complained of chest pains.
Catch up on today's latest news
"Following tests at Papworth Cardiothoracic Hospital in Cambridge this evening the Duke of Edinburgh was found to have a blocked coronary artery which caused his chest pains," Buckingham Palace said in a statement obtained Friday by the BBC. "This was treated successfully by the minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting. Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a short period."
In an update to the media Saturday, the Palace said Prince Philip was visited by Queen Elizabeth and their children, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne and Prince Edward. Later, Prince Charles and wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, stopped by the hospital as well. The Royal Family had been gathering for a royal retreat in Norfolk for Christmas when Prince Philip was taken to the hospital.
He was last hospitalized in April 2008, when he spent three days in a London hospital with a chest infection. He just returned from an 11-day tour of Australia with the Queen.