Polanski's Victim Wants Case Dismissed
The victim in Roman Polanski's 1977 sex case has asked an appellate court to drop the charge against the director, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Samantha Geimer, who was 13 at the time, said the renewed media attention on her since Polanski's arrest last month has disrupted her work and home life, and has caused "health-related issues," according to the Times. Her lawyer, Lawrence Silver, said in a filing that his client has fielded more than 500 phone calls from the media, including requests from Larry King and Oprah Winfrey, and paparazzi have set up camp outside her Hawaii home.
Lawyer: Polanski feels depressed in jail
"This statement makes one more demand, one more request, one more plea: Leave her alone," Silver said in the filing.
The appellate court is reviewing an L.A. Superior Court ruling that the director's case cannot be dismissed while he remains a fugitive, the Times said.
Geimer, now 46, testified in 1977 that Polanski gave her champagne and a Quaalude before raping her. Polanski fled the United States in 1978 for France after pleading guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse. In 1993, the Oscar-winning director of The Pianist settled a civil suit with Geimer, agreeing to pay her $500,000. It is not known if he paid the amount.
U.S. asks Switzerland to hand over Polanski
Polanski, 76, was arrested Sept. 26 by Swiss authorities and is awaiting extradition.