Former Bachelorette Contestant Julien Hug Found Dead; No Foul Play Suspected
Former Bachelorette contestant Julien Hug, who competed on Jillian Harris' season, has been found dead.
His father, Bertrand Hug, told San Diego's KGTV that the 35-year-old's body was found in a remote area off a Southern California highway Wednesday.
The cause of death is being investigated, according to Riverside County Sheriff's Deputy Melissa Nieburger. She said the body was found about 11 a.m. in Pinyon Pines and autopsy was scheduled for Thursday. Authorities are "handling the incident as a death investigation where no foul play is suspected," the sheriff's department told People.
See other stars who died this year
A missing person report was filed Monday for Hug, who was not seen after leaving San Diego for Palm Desert. His parents, restaurateurs Bertrand and Denise Hug, recently purchased an upscale restaurant in Palm Desert that was to be run by their son. Hug had been managing Mille Fleurs, one of his family's other restaurants.
Fellow Bachelorette contestant Kiptyn Locke, who kept in touch with Hug after the show, called his death "crushing news."
"[Hug was] one of the most positive, standout people I have met," Locke told KGTV. "He was always trying to help other people. From the very first time I met him, he was just a very selfless guy.
David Good, another Bachelorette contestant and Bachelor Pad winner, called Hug a "great standup guy."
"My thoughts and prayers go out to Julien's family," Good said in a statement. "Julien was always the first to offer to cook food in the house and the one to offer up one of his 'funny' jokes that were entirely too long but hilarious nonetheless. He will truly be missed."
Hug was eliminated in the second episode of the fifth season of The Bachelorette.
"Please say a prayer for the loss of a friend this morning," Harris tweeted. "Life is fragile, don't forget to love the ones you love."