Patrick Dempsey, Ellen Pompeo
While this may be the last season of Grey's Anatomy for stars Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo, creator Shonda Rhimes is proceeding as if "everything's going to work out. I know both Patrick and Ellen are excited about the idea of continuing, but that doesn't mean everything's going to work." (Meaning, will ABC cough up enough dough to keep 'em?)
Regardless, Rhimes has some reassuring news for MerDer fans. While the couple ended last season apart, "we open the [first] episode with Derek working on their dream house, and I would love to have them moving in around the end of the season." Expect their newly adopted baby to be the reason for their reunion. "Baby Zola is transformative for Meredith, and what happens will be painful, unexpected and wonderful."
As for Cristina's unplanned pregnancy, we'll know by the end of the September 22 season premiere whether or not she keeps the baby.
Other story lines in the works:
- A giant sinkhole opens up in a Seattle street during the two-hour premiere.
- New chief resident April will likely lose her virginity.
- We'll meet Jackson's mom; Debbie Allen is mulling over the role.
- Alzheimer's-stricken Adele will continue to decline.
- A Shepherd family reunion for Derek and his mother and sisters is in the works.
Subscribe to TV Guide Magazine now!