It's not all about LeBron James and Brett Favre at ESPN — at least not next week. The sports giant is rolling out a series of Veterans Day-related programming to honor veterans and troops and to celebrate the link between the military and sports.
"America's Heroes: A Salute to Our Veterans" begins with Saturday's College GameDay (Nov. 6, 9am/8c, ESPNU and 10am/9c, ESPN), which will feature a profile of Indiana University defensive end Kevin Bush, who returned to college football after serving two and half years in the U.S. Army, including a stint in Iraq.
Other shows following the theme include Sunday NFL Countdown (Nov. 7, 11am/10c, ESPN), which has a story about Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and his son Andrew, who is currently serving in the Marines in Afghanistan, and NASCAR Countdown (Nov. 7, 2/1c, ESPN), with a segment on former NASCAR owner and World War II veteran Bud Moore.
In addition, several ESPN programs will broadcast from military locations:
- Bob Ley takes Outside the Lines (Sunday, Nov. 7, 9am/8c, ESPN) to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans.
- First Take (Monday, Nov. 8, 10am/9c, ESPN2) goes on board the USS George H.W. Bush in Norfolk, Va.
- Friday Night Fights will have a special Monday edition from the United States Marine Corps Air Station in Jacksonville, N.C. (Nov. 8, 8/7c, ESPN2).
- On Tuesday, both The Herd With Colin Cowherd (Nov. 9, 10am/9c, ESPNU and ESPN Radio) and SportsNation (4/3c, ESPN2) will be on location at the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.
- Wednesday's edition of Mike and Mike in the Morning (Nov. 10, 6am/5c, ESPN2 and ESPN Radio) originates from the United States Coast Guard Sector in Key West, Fla. Former Dallas Cowboys star Roger Staubach, who won the Heisman Trophy while playing for the U.S. Naval Academy and served in the Vietnam War, will be a guest on the show.
- And finally, on Thursday — Veterans Day, Josh Elliott and Hannah Storm will anchor the network's flagship program, SportsCenter, live from the U.S. Army Garrison Grafenwoehr Parade Field in Grafenwoehr, Germany (Nov. 11, 9am/8c, ESPN). Elliott and Storm will be on location in Grafenwoehr all week, filing taped segments in the days leading up to Veterans Day.
During the week, ESPN will also use its numerous platforms to encourage donations to the USO.
Subscribe to TV Guide Magazine now!