Conrad Murray Found Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter in Michael Jackson Case
A jury found Dr. Conrad Murray, the doctor accused in Michael Jackson's death, guilty of involuntary manslaughter on Monday.
A few loud screams were heard as the decision was announced. The unanimous decision followed 10 hours of deliberation by the jury (seven and a half hours on Friday and two and a half hours on Monday). Cutaway shots by cable news channels of the crowd outside the courthouse showed a pleased crowd.
Conrad Murray case finishes closing arguments, goes to jury
Murray was taken into custody without bail following the verdict. He will be sentenced Nov. 29 and faces up to four years in prison.
Members of the Jackson family, including Joe Jackson, Katherine Jackson and Jermaine Jackson were in attendance to hear the verdict. "Verdict is finally in," LaToya Jackson tweeted an hour before the verdict was read on her way to the courthouse. "I'm on my way! I'm shaking uncontrollably!"
Expert: Michael Jackson likely gave himself fatal drug dose
During closing arguments last week, defense attorney Ed Chernoff argued that Murray shouldn't be convicted of killing the King of Pop because the singer caused his own death by administering his own overdose of the anesthetic propofol. "Somebody's got to say it: If it were anybody else but Michael Jackson, if it were anybody else, would this doctor be here today?" said Chernoff. "They want you to convict Dr. Murray for the actions of Michael Jackson. ... It's not a reality show."
Prosecutor David Walgren said the defense presented "junk science" and that Murray had broken trust with Jackson by changing their doctor-patient relationship to one of "employer-employee" and that in exchange for $150,000 a month would perpetuate an "obscene experiment" in which he provided Jackson drugs in an unsafe manner.
Dr. Conrad Murray's lawyer: Michael Jackson died instantaneously
Walgren asked the jury to find that Murray acted with "extreme, criminal, gross negligence" when he gave Jackson propofol.
Jackson died on June 25, 2009 from acute propofol intoxication. He was 50.