Cheers & Jeers: 10 Things I Hate About My Teenage Daughter
I Hate My Teenage Daughter
Jeers to I Hate My Teenage Daughter for being so detestable. How do I hate the new Fox sitcom? Let me count the ways...
Want more Cheers & Jeers? Subscribe to TV Guide Magazine.
- It wastes Emmy-winner Jaime Pressly (My Name Is Earl) in a dumb-bland role as a single mom who was raised by religious zealots.
- It wastes Tony-winner Katie Finneran (Promises, Promises) in a degrading role as a single mom who eats pie with her bare hands.
- It wastes The Wire's electrifying Chad Coleman as Finneran's African-American ex-hubby — and I describe him that way only because he's otherwise nondescript.
- It wastes Bridesmaids' uproarious Wendi McLendon-Covey as Finneran's high-school mean-girl-turned-principal. On the plus side, it keeps her away from playing David Spade's wife on Rules of Engagement.
- The titular girls (Kristi Lauren and Aisha Dee) are so abhorrent, it's not even funny; in the pilot, they lock a paraplegic classmate in the bathroom for two hours — which is how long the episode felt.
- Pressly's character apparently has a crush on her ex-brother-in-law, an uptight lawyer played by Desperate Housewives' Kevin Rahm. Ewww!
- Even the laugh track doesn't seem to find the show's stale gags amusing.
- Fox cancelled good shows like Human Target and The Chicago Code to make room for this turkey on their fall schedule.
- CBS cancelled The New Adventures of Old Christine, freeing up producers Sherry Bilsing and Ellen Kreamer to cocreate this vastly inferior single-mom sitcom.
- The hardest part of making up this list was limiting it to 10 items.
What do you think of I Hate My Teenage Daughter?
Subscribe to TV Guide Magazine now!