Charlie Sheen Sues Warner Bros., Chuck Lorre for $100 Million
Charlie Sheen, Chuck Lorre
Charlie Sheen has filed a $100 million lawsuit again production studio Warner Bros. and series executive producer Chuck Lorre, Reuters reports.
In the suit, Sheen claims he was fired from Two and a Half Men because he criticized the show's producers. The 45-year-old actor filed suit Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of himself, the cast and crew; he was officially terminated on Monday.
Charlie Sheen responds to termination: "This is very good news"
"Defendant Chuck Lorre, one of the richest men in television who is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, believes himself so wealthy and powerful that he can unilaterally decide to take money away from the dedicated cast and crew," the lawsuit states, according to Reuters.
The suit also claims that Warner Bros. was "happy" to work with Sheen and sign him to a new contract last year even though he faced a criminal charge of assault against his estranged wife and was in rehab for substance abuse. (Sheen eventually pleaded guilty to assault. His divorce from wife Brooke Mueller will be final in May).
VIDEO: Charlie Sheen takes his "winning recipes" to Funny or Die
Sheen claims that it was only after he began publicly criticizing Lorre and Warner Bros. that the studio decided to terminate the actor's services for "breach of contract." Sheen also blamed his former boss for "humiliating, harassing, and disparaging" him for years.
"Warner Bros. capitulated to Lorre's egotistical desire to punish Mr. Sheen and to stop work on the series for the rest of the season, and used its powerful public relations machine to create a myth to justify their conduct by wrongly blaming Mr. Sheen," the lawsuit states, according to Reuters.
"The allegations in the complaint against Mr. Lorre are as recklessly false and unwarranted as Mr. Sheen's rantings in the media," Lorre's attorney, Howard Weitzman, told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. "The accusations are simply imaginary."
Weitzman added: "This lawsuit is about a fantasy 'lottery' pay-day for Charlie Sheen. Chuck Lorre's concern has been and continues to be about Mr. Sheen's health."
Shortly before Two and a Half Men was due to resume production for the final four episodes of the season, Sheen called into the Alex Jones Show radio program on Feb. 24 and called Lorre a "clown" and "charlatan." Sheen also made what many believed to be an anti-Semitic joke by referring to Lorre as "Chaim Levine." Hours after his radio rant, production on the CBS sitcom was shut down for the remainder of the season.
Charlie Sheen taunts ex-bosses about "illegal and unconscionable" firing
In a letter from Warner Bros. to Sheen, obtained by TMZ, the studio says the actor was let go for "a felony offense involving moral turpitude (including but not limited to furnishing of cocaine to others as part of the self-destructive lifestyle he has described publicly)."
Sheen referenced the lawsuit in a tweet Thursday, saying, "Torpedo away...You corporate Trolls were warned. And now you've been served!"