Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sue Over Split Claims
Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie
Hollywood power couple Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are taking legal action against a British tabloid that reported the couple was going to break up, TVGuide.com has confirmed.
Celebrities encouraging donations for Haitian relief efforts
The News of the World, a British tabloid, claimed that Pitt and Jolie had met with a divorce lawyer and had already planned to divide their assets and make arrangements for the custody of their six children: Maddox, 8, Pax, 6, Zahara, 5, Shiloh, 3, and twins Vivienne and Knox, 18 months.
A complaint was filed at London's High Court on Monday to proceed with a case against the newspaper, Keith Schillings, the couple's lawyer, said in a statement.
"The News of the World has failed to meet our clients' reasonable demands for a retraction of and apology for these false and intrusive allegations which have now been widely republished by mainstream news outlets," Schillings said. "We have advised them to bring proceedings which they have now done."
Angelina Jolie wants Obama Administration to take more action in Darfur
Sorrell Trope, the divorce lawyer cited in several media reports as representing the couple, confirmed to Schillings that he has had no contact with either Pitt or Jolie. "I have never met your... clients or had any involvement with either of them. The foregoing is true with respect to all other members of this firm."
Calls to the actors' reps were not immediately returned.