The Big Bang Theory
The Big Bang Theory, one of the TV shows most at home at Comic-Con, kicked off its panel on Friday with a clip from the Season 7 episode in which Sheldon (Jim Parsons), Leonard (Johnny Galecki), Howard (Simon Helberg) and Raj (Kunal Nayyar) try (and fail) to get tickets to the annual event.
Perhaps fittingly, the cast wasn't actually wasn't in attendance. Instead, the panel was only made up of the show's writers and executive producers Bill Prady and Steve Molaro, who shared some fun facts and a few details about the upcoming eighth season:
Get the latest news from Comic-Con
1. Star Wars co-stars Carrie Fisher and James Earl Jones had never met in person until they guest-starred onThe Big Bang Theory last season. Fisher's first words to Jones? "Dad!"
2. Sheldon disappearing on a train in the finale does not necessarily spell disaster for his relationship with Amy. "He didn't leave because of Amy," Molaro said. "I would argue that they do have their own weird brand of happiness right now. That kiss on the train is pretty indicative of that." Interesting note: There was a second version of the kiss where Sheldon didn't feel tricked into getting on the train and just kissed Amy because he was having a good time.
3. Even though Bob Newhart's character Professor Proton passed away last season, Molaro promised, "He could come back." (Though that's coming from the same man who decided to kill him off in the first place. "That was my fault," he joked.)
4. While discussing the Star Wars Day episode, Big Bang writer Eric Kaplan actually said he wasn't particularly fond of the George Lucas franchise, to which moderator Craig Ferguson joked that a mob was forming in the back of the room.
5. Will the elevator ever be fixed? Not likely! "I think those stairs are the only exercise those guys get," Molaro said. Prady noted that the building is still waiting on elevator parts, but they'll be waiting a long time because production uses the stairs to accommodate "walk and talks" on the show.
6. It's unlikely that fans will ever see Penny's (Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting) failed movie "Serial Ape-ist 2: Monkey See, Monkey Kill" on The Big Bang Theory, but Comic-Con fans were treated to a sneak peek of the trailer, which included the line, "This film is not yet rated, but don't worry, she gets naked in it." Serial Ape-ist co-starWil Wheaton then appeared on the panel to much applause.
Add new fall shows to your Watchlist
7. Even though Stuart's (Kevin Sussman) comic book store burned down last season, the guys will not give up on their weekly ritual. "There will be a comic book store in the future," Molaro said. "The show will not go on without a comic book store, I promise you." Bonus: Stuart will still be living with Mrs. Wolowitz when the show returns.
8. Fans may hope that Bernadette (Melissa Rauch) and Howard will take the next step and have children, but it won't happen anytime soon. "There's no plans for babies," Molaro said. "No plans for the moment."
9. Speaking of taking the next step, Penny and Leonard will enjoy a very long engagement. "They are engaged, but the wedding is sometime off in the future," Molaro said. "Penny's first goal is to put the date far enough in the future so everyone knows that she's not pregnant." The real challenge for the writers will be how to get aroundnot revealing Penny's last name throughout wedding planning.
The Big Bang Theory returns Monday, Sept. 22 at 8/7c on CBS.)
(Full disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS.)
Check out the trailer for Serial Ape-ist 2: Monkey See, Monkey Kill:
Watch This Tonight! See why Cold Justice is today's editors' pick: