Stephen Amell, Emily Bett Rickards and David Ramsey
Arrow fans are in for the ride of their lives as the ultimate showdown between Oliver (Stephen Amell) and the Dark Archer (John Barrowman), as well as the unveiling of the Undertaking, grows closer. Will Oliver be able to save Starling City? Will his identity be revealed? There are many questions before the series returns Wednesday (8/7 on The CW), which is why TVGuide.com sat down with both Amell and Emily Bett Rickards, who portrays go-to IT gal Felicity Smoak, to get the scoop on what's in store for the rest of the CW super series' season:
Must-watch finales: Get the scoop on Arrow and 38 other series
10. Deadshot divide: With Diggle (David Ramsey) hell-bent on avenging his brother by killing Deadshot, both Oliver and Felicity will be charged with keeping him in check. "Oliver and Diggle have a bit of a falling out because Diggle is really... becoming a little bit obsessive and Oliver doesn't share the same commitment because there's still an overall goal," Amell says. But it's Oliver's lack of assistance that will splinter the group, Rickards teases. "There's going to be tension around Deadshot and whether he's taken care of or not," she says. Also look for Diggle to be involved with a familiar organization in the coming episodes.
9. Felicity in the field: Oliver and Diggle will have to rely on Felicity in the field when "her intellect is needed in an environment that Oliver and Diggle cannot go to," Rickards says. Considering Felicity almost lost her head the last time she was in the field, naturally she'll be quite nervous. "Felicity gets a little bit more brave," she adds. "She starts to face her fears a little bit more. She's going out in the field again and will hopefully save the Glades."
8. Laurel love: Clearly, Oliver still has feelings for Laurel (Katie Cassidy), which will be addressed soon. "We are going to get some clarification as to how he feels," Amell says, noting that we'll see Oliver and Laurel together more towards the end of the season. But how that will affect his relationship with Tommy (Colin Donnell), who quit on Oliver to work for his father, remains to be seen.
Arrow Scoop: Will Tommy out Oliver as the vigilante?
7. Flashbacks uncovered: An upcoming episode will flashback to before Oliver got on the Queen's Gambit. "The one who really shines in that episode, for me, is [Moira]," Amell says. "She's wonderful in the episode because [Susanna Thompson] just plays Moira Queen, the doting mother. She's not privy to all this conspiratorial behavior. She just loves her children and her husband." We'll also find out why Oliver invited Laurel's sister, Sarah, on the boat.
6. The Scooby gang: Even though Felicity insisted she was only helping Oliver to rescue Walter (Colin Salmon), she'll become a fully-fledged member of the team by the finale. "You do see her completely in it and overwhelmed," Rickards says. "She's in it to win it."
5. The Undertaking revealed: "The Undertaking is a devastation," Rickards teases. "The stakes are huge. The Undertaking is a lot bigger than any of us could've imagined. Moira's in over her head." Amell echoes that sentiment, adding that viewers will be surprised by the depth of everyone's involvement in the Undertaking.
Arrow: Will Roy Harper's kidnaping bring him closer to becoming Speedy?
4. Oliver discovered: After Oliver saved Roy Harper (Colton Haynes), his possible future sidekick will be on the hunt for the vigilante — with the help of Thea (Willa Holland) — in hopes of joining him. "Oliver does catch wind of this before the end of the season which does lead to some interesting interactions between the three of them," Amell says. "It's time for Thea in the finale to really stand on her own and have some heroic moments of her own."
3. Island mysteries: The final episodes will see Oliver, Slade (Manu Bennett) and Shado (Celina Jade) attempting to prevent Fyers (Sebastian Dunn) from shooting down a Ferris Air plane. (Yes, that Ferris Air.) "It's the culmination of Edward Fyers and his plan and it's a moment of transcendence for Oliver," Amell says. The star also notes it seems like an inevitability that aspects from the island will eventually show up in Starling City.
2. Super nods: Speaking of allusions to other superheroes, Amell hints there may be another nod of that regard in the finale. "There's a wonderful tease at the beginning of the finale with respect to origins that Oliver has that we don't know about yet that have happened after the conclusion of Season 1 on the island, and certainly before the beginning of the pilot," he says. Any guesses?
Arrow Postmortem: Do too many people know Oliver's secret?
1. Dark Archer showdown: When Oliver first faced the Dark Archer, he ended up in the hospital, so it doesn't bode well that there will be several meetings between these two before the end of the season. "There are a couple of fights to go," Amell says. He adds that Malcolm will lay out the entire mythology of the season, including the mysterious glyph, in an upcoming episode.
What are you most excited about in the final episodes? Hit the comments!
Arrow airs Wednesdays at 8/7c on The CW.